Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thurs, November 22th Kambang

Eddy was heading South on a business trip, I think he is some sort of construction contractor. He asked me if I would like to go along and I could stop anywhere I fancied. So we headed south at about 9:30 with a friend of his and they dropped me off at Kambang beach. This is a fantastic sandy beach stretching for miles. Only occupied by fishermen it would appear.

I spent an interesting couple of hours watching them fish with nets. First of all they take the nets out about 300m from shore and then take ropes, which are joined to each end, to shore. They then start to slowly pull in both ropes. Eventually the net is brought ashore and the catch is ushered into the end of the net. The result of the catch I saw was only about 50-60 small fish. Not much reward for about 2 hours work for 10 people.

I took a quick look at Kambang town which was much the same as other small towns I had seen, got some lunch, Nasi Padang and headed back to Painan by minibus.

On the way back I spotted a fantastic beach just 1km south of Eddy’s place. I asked Eddy later and he said it was called Sungainipa. Worth a visit at some later date.

Later that night I visited one of the islands at the other end of the bay and had a couple of beers, out of a fridge!!!!. Beer seems to be readily available here but fridges aren’t. Hot beer wouldn’t do and the only alternative they have is to put ice in the beer., not for me.


Later that night I started to feel sick. It was pretty obvious from the start it was food poising. Where from? It could have been from any one of three or four places. Not Eddy’s I didn’t eat there. I must have had to be sick etc at least 6 times that night. Not pleasant in a dark Mandi when you are imagining 8 foot crocodiles coming out the water vat.

No comments: