Saturday, November 24, 2007

Tuesday, November 20th Teaching English Painan


On getting up I had a look at the map and planned to take a trip to trip to Kambang, a town on the coast about 60km south. However on reaching Painan the rain started in torrents. I took shelter in the market for an hour or two and had lunch in a stall there. Centre of attention again. “Hello Mista”

When the rain stopped I tried to get an Odjek to the nearest Internet cafĂ©. Eddy had taken me to one the previous evening but it was very very slow and expensive ( Mahal). The Odjek guy didn’t know where the internet cafes were ( Eddy says there are 3) instead he took me to the Master English School where I met Asral.

Asral asked if I would be willing too help with some conversational English later that day. I agreed but specified I wasn’t willing to teach a class alone. Given the English couples experience. He said he would pick me up from Eddy’s nearer the time.

Later that day Vino, one of Asral’s teachers showed up to take me to the class. On arrival Asral took me into the class, explained that the class would ask me some questions and that I only had to reply. He informed me when I had had enough to come and see him. I didn’t really have time to complain.

There I was in front of a class of 20 14 to 19 year olds. Anyone who knows me will realize this is my worst nightmare. So, this wont be too difficult? Hi my name is Andy I come from Scotland would you like to ask me some questions. Silence……… Try again…..Silence…..Oh dear…. I decided would take them through some basic phrases , counting and telling the time. Asked them to tell me how many brothers and sisters they had in English etc. I managed to last about 40 mins before running out of ideas. Not bad I thought since I hadn’t even considered any preparation. Thankfully the children are much better behaved than at home I only had some sniggers when I attempted some Bahasa Indonesia. Asral was quite happy with 40mins.

He later told me that he ran this private English school and had another in Kampbang which his brother ran. Apparently he learned his English in a 4 star hotel in Bukittinggi which was run by someone called Sir Stewart George Priston. I had a quick search on the internet but no luck. You could tell with certain words that Asral said he had those marbles in the mouth, old boy.

He was not the first person to speak to me about the danger of Earthquakes and Tsunami. He said the Painan area was at risk and drew me a map showing me how the whole of Western Sumatra was predicted to sink into the ocean. He asked me with a certain amount of glee, similar to previous questioners, if I wasn’t frightened. I explained I was only there for a few days and the chances of anything happening to me were remote compare to someone who is living there like himself. I asked him why he stayed there and he didn’t appear to have an answer. I would certainly be frightened if there was an earthquake and have no wish to feel even a small one, as other travelers have said for the experience. Painan and environment have never had a Tsunami.


Vino arranged for a friend of his to Odjek me around some sights tomorrow.

No comments: