Sunday, December 16, 2007

Fri 14th – Sat 16th September – Krabi

Disaster has struck. Because of the Thai elections there is a ban on alcohol sales over the whole weekend, on the few days I decided to spend in one of Thailand’s beach resorts. You can get a beer if you try hard enough but all the bars are closed, away from the remoter beaches at least.

Krabi is a not very attractive town which is the hub for a number of fantastic beaches and islands in the area. Phi Phi apparently being the most spectacular. I didn’t make it there as the weather was very changeable and it is a 1 ½ hour boat trip. Instead I visited Oa Nang beach, about 20mins by bus from Krabi. This is a real resort town typical of any around Mediterranean Spain etc. From there I took a 15min longtail boat ride to Hat Rei Leh, which is only accessible by boat. The scenery here is fantastic. Lime stone cliffs and islands. Exactly the type of thing you see in Thailand tourist brochures at home.

Thai massage is a big thing here. There are dozens of open air massage areas and you are constantly asked if you would like a massage. I didn’t, after walking around in the heat all day I was a bit worried about being sweaty. Although I’m sure it wouldn’t have mattered. Thai massage was 200 baht an hour, that’s less than 3 quid.

Well I think I’ve had my day on the beach for this trip. While it’s all very well for a holiday with other people, I’m here to do a bit of traveling.

Next stop Surat Thani on the east coast.

No comments: