Friday, December 28, 2007

Fri 28th Dec - Chiang Saen

Today I decided to get a haircut. This is always a bit of a hit and miss affair in a foreign country where you don’t speak the language. I found a hairdresser but as expected he didn’t speak any English. When he started he appeared just to be randomly snipping at chunks of hair without even using a comb. I managed to convey to him that I would have the number 3 razor at the side and he could cut the top with scissors. He progressed much better after that and I think I got a pretty good haircut in the end. 50 Baht.

I met young guy from Singapore this morning who is traveling to Laos. He has just been to Pai and recommended it, he spent 5 days there. We had breakfast together before he went to get the Songtail.

I decided to buy $50 in the bank for my Loas Visa n Arrival. It wa pretty straight forward and there wasn’t any commission.

I am reading a Salman Rushdie book at the moment Shalamar the Clown. Only just started it but it looks good so far.

On walking round the local Market I noticed quite a few cooked insects and frogs for sale. I had seen a little of this in Chaing Rai but I wasn’t sure if it was just for the tourists. Definitely the real thing here. The frogs actually looked quite tasty but I didn’t try them. I would need a witness for proof.

I spent most of the day in the sun on the banks of the Mekong reading. I also had a Thai foot massage, sitting watching the boats go by. The method is to use a cream and the massage covers the foot and lower leg. Its more of a relaxing massage than reflexology although there was a point where a rounded wooded implement is pressed against a number of points around the foot. The massage was finished of with a 5min on the head and shoulders. Nice and relaxing and at 110 baht (1 pound 60) for an hour extremely good value.

No comments: