Sunday, December 2, 2007

Sat, December 1st , Padang to Tanah Rata

Had an early start today up at 4:30am for a 5am taxi. I was going to Padang airport to head back to KL Malaysia. The only reliable way to get the airport from Bukittinggi was to get a taxi. I thought it was best to get the Hotel Kartini organise this, just in case there were any problems, they could phone up to see why the taxi hadn't arrived for instance. The cost 180,000 rupeea (9 quid) for a 2hr taxi ride what a bargain.

When I got up in the dark the mosques were calling for prayer. I went down the stairs to the foiay and there were 10 women in the having a little prayer meeting. It was all a little spooky at that time in the morning. The landlord had offered to make me some breakfast, very good of him at that time and I had it while the women were praying next to me. I was a bit worried that I'd disturbed them but when they finished they were very friendly with the usual "Hello Mista" and explained they were from Jakarta.

The taxi trip was a bit of an experience in the dark. First of all many cars don't seem to have tail lights only head lights for some reason. I expect they just don't replace the bulbs when they fail. So cars suddenly appeared out of the dark in front of us. Also road works don't have the usual traffic cones and flashing lights. Indonesians make do with a couple of big rocks stuck in the middle of the road a few yards before the hole in the road. Of course it's really hard to see them in the dark. Still we made it safely enough. I suppose if you know that these things can happen you make sure you drive accordingly.

The light to KL LCC was on time and I a got the bus into town. I headed straight to Puderaya to see about a bus to Tanah Rata, Cameron Highlands, 5hrs 18RM. There as one at 13.30 but I decided to take the 15:30 so as to get some lunch and buy a Lonely Planet, South east Asia on a Shoestring. In retrospect a bad idea as the last part of the journey may have been quite spectacular if it was light.

When I got of the bus I met a girl from Belgium, Lind, who was also looking for Fathers Homestay. Luckily as we wandered around trying to find it Fathers Homestay bus stopped to pick us up.Once we got checked in we headed into town for something to eat, Satay. After that we went to the only bar in town for a few beers.

Lind had been to Lombok, an Indonesian Island, and was in Malaysia to get here visa renewed before heading back there to see her 20 year old Indonesian boy friend, she is 28.

We were sleeping in the dorm which was an old Nissan hut with about a dozen beds in it. It was cold and damp that night and I had to sleep with all my clothes on to try and keep warm. I didn't get much sleep because of the cold. In the next couple of days the place seemed to dry out and it was a bit warmer. I think it had been raining a lot before we arrived.

No comments: