Thursday, December 27, 2007

Thurs 27th Dec Chaing Rai to Chaing Saen

Chaing Rai was just a smaller version of Chain Mai to me, another busy city. I decided to take a gamble and head for a town called Chiang Saen. This proved a good decision. It’s a nice riverside town on the Mekong with a bit of a seaside resort feel. There aren’t to many western tourists but I think quite a few Asian. Laos is on the other side of the river but the only crossing with Visa on arrival is in a town 50km south called Chiang Kong.

I’ve found a good place to stay with an old Chinese landlord from Singapore called Andrew. 250 baht. He’s a bit of a character. He told me he was in the Merchant Navy and had spent some time in Ardrosan. The place is full for the weekend as many Thais from Chaing Rai will be here for New Year but I can stay for the next couple of days.

I had my first Thai massage here open air on promenade on the banks of the Mekong. Lots of bending, stretching, pushing, pulling, elbows and standing on. Good but a bit of an ordeal not too relaxing. I think I’ll try a Thai foot massage next.

An old American guy stopped me and asked me if I was “coming or going”. When I asked where he said China. He had apparently had an amazing experience on a 5 day boat trip down the Mekong from China. I explained I was going to Laos and he recommended this journey for a future trip.

There is excellent food here in the night market, I had a green curry followed by a red curry, the portions are small, followed by an egg Roti.

The river front was full of boisterous drunk Thais on the way home, friendly. The drink of choice is here either beer or whisky, 100 pipers.

No comments: