Thursday, December 27, 2007

Monday 24th Dec – Chaing Mai to Thaton

Took the bus to Chaing Dao. The main attraction here is a Wat and cave in the hillside about 5k from town. There were no buses but fortunately I didn’t have to walk the whole way. Thai people stopped to give me a lift both on the way there and the way back. Took pity on me struggling in the sun. Although the weather is just about perfect for me now high 20s C and not a cloud in the sky.

The Chaing Dao cave and Wat were in a beautiful location and the countryside around was lovely. After having a look at a few Buddha’s I found a little temple which had a row of fortune telling machines, one for each day of the week. I had no idea how to work them but gave it a go, choosing Wednesday as my birthday. After I put the money in the machine started chant and some lights went round and eventually stopped at 2 numbers. There were some numbered cubbyholes with sheets of paper inside but it wasn’t clear which one I should take so I picked randomly. The following is the prediction.

Like Being dumb. Difficult to express yourself clearly. Feeling uncertain. Forthcoming child shall be a baby girl. Lost items could never be recovered. Illness condition unfavorable. Discovering a mate who could be satisfactory. No lucks. Should be careful.

Clearly not for me, I hope!

I then picked another up from a pile on the floor.

Enjoyable life. Despite any illness, need no worry. All in family will be happy and have good lucks. Long journey will be undertaken safe and sound. Desires will be fulfilled. Patient recovering. Legal case in your favor. All is good for you.

I think I’ll have that one. Or is it for Sally?

I then went into the cave. There are no lights so you need to hire a guide with a lamp for 100 baht. It was quite an extensive cave and the guide pointed out various features which looked like; Elephants, curtains, chickens sleeping Buddha’s etc. Quite good fun really but very hot in the cave.

I decided to get the bus on to a place called Thaton on the river Kok about a couple of hours further north. You can get a long tail boat fro here to Chaing Rai.

Taton turned out to be a really nice town in the mountains by the riverside. There is a monastery there and a number of large Chidis and Buddha statues on the mountain side.

I found a great little chalet to stay in. The chalets were built in an old orange grove which had been planted up with lots of flowering plants, really lovely. (300 baht)

The town however was dead at night. Surprising as there were a few expensive hotels with restaurants, all empty.

No comments: