Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Sun 9th to Tues 11th December – Penang

The weather has been pretty poor over the past few days. Showers and warm. There are a few beaches around Penang island and Penang hill to climb but the weather has been too poor to do this.

Fortunately Penang has other things to offer, mainly the food. I have spent the last few days eating. Mainly in the hawkers stalls and food court around the Hotel Sunway, west of the Komtar centre. Amongst the things I have had are Mie Goreng (fried noodles with meat and veg), Oysters in a sort of omelet, roast Duck with rice and Satay. I have also been having lunch in a great little Chinese place which does a excellent buffet. A full plate of rice and selection of meat and vegetable dishes comes in at about 60p and it is delicious.

I also moved Guest House to get a single room and get away from the noise of construction work. Unfortunately I am now staying across the road from a Music school and it appears its practice time for the brass band. It usually starts with “Land of Hope and Glory” at about 8am and continues all day and into the evening. They even have a bagpipe player. It was a bit of a novelty at first but was wearing a bit thin by the time I left.

I have visited a few Chinese temples around Georgetown and went to the movies. The Golden compass from the Philip Pullman book. The special effects were fantastic but the book was much more entertaining. because the Band Practice.

Overall I had a great time in Penang even although the weather was poor, I would recommend it to anyone willing to experiment with the local food.

No comments: