Thursday, December 27, 2007

Fri 21st Dec – Sun 23rd Chiang Mai

Arrived in Chaing Mai at 9:00 by sleeper train
Found a nice quite guest house outside of the old city 250 baht
There are lots of package tourists here with a number of large international name hotels.
The night market is much more expensive than others I have been to and mainly filled with westerners.
There are lots of young and old westerners here with Thai girl friends. A fair amount with children.
Some of the older guys look very strange hobbling along with there young Thai girlfriends.
There appeared to also be a lot of older western couples. It occurred to me that the old guys may be doing an old for new deal.

Most the bars are full of young Thai girls beckoning in any passing westerner. I can’t say what happens when you get in. I managed to find a Blues bar with no Thai girls.

The weather here is now very hot and sunny. Too hot for waling around at midday.

Chaing Mai is too big a city for me I will need to get out in the country soon.

There are some interesting Wats to see but I’m getting a little Wat weary.

Reading Ian McEwan – Atonement – very good book
And Terry Pratchett – The Truth – more of the same fun and fantasy from him

Saturday – took a day trip to Mat Tang. Not a particularly interesting town but I had a nice lunch of Duck and rice. I decided to take the same bus the following day into the mountains to a place called Chaing Dao, on the advice of an English girl I met on the bus.

Had a nice Pad Thai for dinner. Stir fried noodles with shrimp etc and a nice raw vegetable salad. I’m beginning to get the hang of the chop sticks but I may have seen a few of the locals sniggering.

There has been another ban on alcohol sales this weekend with another election taking place.

No comments: